Saturday, December 31, 2011

December 30th - No-Gi Open Mat

I haven't made it to a Friday open mat in some time.  It's quite an experience to roll with 6 different people and get tapped out by all of them but 1. 

Almost getting submissions was the theme.  I moved into a north-south choke right away when Conan allowed me to get side control.  I felt like I had him stuck I just wasn't low enough.  I also almost got Jerad in the same technique, but his arm was in the way.  I also almost got Jerad with an inverted triangle but I didn't know how to finish it.  I tried for the Kimura but I could never get the arm in the right position.  He showed me some things I could have done like grabbing the other arm to sweep them.  That would have been good to know before. 

I was also able to pull off a couple of wrist locks today.  One was a verticle wristlock from guard on Josh.  It was good to hear him say that he hadn't seen that before.  I think it would serve me well if I started using them more often.  I also surprised Jerad with a wrist throw and was able to partially take his back.  So far this has been my highest percentage jointlock. 

I got submitted with a Darce, a couple armbars, an arm triangle, and some other subs that I've forgotten.  I saw some improvement today in my guard retention.  I was looking for underhooks where I could and keeping my posture up.  Half guard felt a little better too.  I seem to be putting myself in danger for the darce often, I'll have to figure out what I can do differently to prevent that technique.  I can see it coming for the most part but it slows me down to have to defend it all of the time.

All in all a good time.  I've got to make it to Fridays more often.

1 comment:

  1. keep looking for those wristlocks,Josh. they work for you. i like to use them too when i see an opportunity for it. i've submitted a couple of people from mount with it.

    ReplyDelete