Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December 7th - Morning Open (Twice)

My tootsies were cold this morning.  Luckily Ken came in a little early and turned the heat on, although it never really got that hot. 

I rolled with Ken first and it was a back and forth battle.  There were a few times where I had his back or we were in side control.  I kept trying to attack without success.  There were also a couple of time where he had me in side control and I was able to get to my knees but not be able to do much with the single leg.  However, I'd improve by ending up in half guard.  I eventually got really winded and Ken had me in a straight armlock and I gave up.  Yes Mike, I gave up.

I rolled with Jerad next and it went very quickly and he got me in a farside armbar rather quickly. 

Robert and I went next and it felt like a battle too.  There was one point when I had the beginning of a darce.  Jerad kept trying to coach me into getting my arm through and I just couldn't get my arm through to lock it up.  I can't recall what else happened but he eventually got me in a choke, whether it was a darce, guillotine, or arm triangle I can't remember.  I do remember that it made me gag a bit and almost puke. 

I went with Jerad again for the last match and I fared far better this time.  We were in a strange half guard position for a little while with me on the bottom.  I had his leg kind of locked up.  It allowed me to mess with a kimura on the other arm.  We eventually rolled a bit and switched positions to me in top side control with him on his side because I had a hold of his other arm still kind of kimura'd (hard to explain).  I used the opportunity to take the armbar and after some hand fighting to break his grip I got it and he tapped. 

Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to react to this.  Can I be happy/excited about it?  I know Jerad is much more knowledgeable and skillful than I (concerning Jiu-Jitsu anyway).  I know this isn't a competition and we are rolling to get better and try different things.  But to me, submitting a purple belt in our school was an impossible feat before this.  I think it taught me that my mind can get in the way sometimes.  While I was working towards the submission I kept thinking "I'll never get this, Jerad is too good."  I've got to get this type of thinking out of my head.

The only thing that I can say is that I won't be truly happy until I feel David Kluthe's sweaty hand tapping.

3 comments:

  1. i noticed that david wasn't changing his clothes this morning to roll with us. you've got him avoiding you. you may never be able to achieve your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to react to this. Can I be happy/excited about it?"

    I hope this answers your question :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I am 100% sure that David is not ducking me. He somehow uses kryptonite against me.

    Gina, that was exactly what I needed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete