Wednesday, December 21, 2011

December 21st - Morning Open Mat

It was a little rough getting up this morning.  At least it wasn't as cold as it has been.  We started out with myself, David and Bauer.  With an odd number of odd people we decided to do some positions drills and rotate in and out every 2 minutes.  We did passing/maintaining guard and then escaping/maintaining Side mount. 

Once Ken got there we broke and I rolled with David first.  I'm starting to realize my bad habits and what I'm continually doing wrong and having exploited.  Almost every time my guard opens I want to automatically go to the scissor sweep position.  Then my knees get pushed down and I get passed.  I need to break this habit and find an alternative, possibly putting my feet on his hips instead of turning to my side.  And, if I'm going to actually do the scissor sweep I need to commit to it and do it faster.  I think I had David's back for a little while, mostly because he gave it to me from turtle position.  I didn't keep it very long.  I'm also in a love hate relationship with half guard.  I thought I was getting good at it but I seem to be getting stuck there and pinned often.  David ended up getting me with an arm triangle choke.  Something different from him.

I rolled with Ken next and we were both pretty active to start off with.  After we settled down Ken dominated me for the rest of the roll.  He set up his usual Americana but when I defended he took my other arm and got an armbar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment