Friday, December 2, 2011

December 1st - Gi (The other half of half guard)

Conan taught class yesterday and the theme was passing half guard.  I believe this was the first time I've worked on some of these, most of what I've done from half guard has been from the bottom.  However, I now realize I've had many of these done to me.

I had problems with a few of them where we were required to tripod and then place our free knee onto the opponents belly.  It was just a little awkward for me.  I think I need some more practice time on some of these.

During open mat I went with Ray.  As soon as he got me off my back I was not able to improve my position again and he maintained side control.  I was able to defend a lot of his sub attempts but he eventually went knee on neck which took me out of my game.  I think he armbared me after that.



Ken showed up and we practiced some throws and Randori for a while.  I actually felt good about a few of the throws that I did.  Beggs and a Judo green belt were observing the mistakes that I was making.  Beggs gave some pointers on the sweep that I was attempting.  I'm all about doing things right and receiving help but it seemed like there was a communication barrier there because he kept showing me little variations and saying their Japanese name and asking if that was what I was trying to accomplish.  I really didn't see that much of a difference in what he was showing me.  I didn't know there were so many variations and I was just trying a technique that I've done before.  I guess that's what I get for being a casual Judo practitioner.



1 comment:

  1. don't sweat the small Judo details. as long as you do the 3 basic fundamentals you'll do fine. Off balance, fitting in, and throw. i didn't see much difference in what you were doing and what you were shown.

    ReplyDelete