Monday, December 5, 2011

December 4th - No Gi

Conan taught class yesterday and we did some techniques post passing guard.  Unfortunately I showed up late, but my good excuse was that I take my youngest son, Jace, swimming every Sunday morning that I can.

We did several pass guard or half guard into a darce, armbar, we did a no-arm darce, and a north/south choke.  My darce chokes seemed very tight when practicing it with a partner.

During Open mat I rolled with Mike first.  This roll took a while and had a lot of back and forth.  Now that I've gotten a little bit better our weight difference is really starting to be an advantage for me with him.  Plus I was a little confused that he made a joke earlier in class that I am known for giving up that fueled me a little.  I almost had him in a north/south choke at one point but he was able to wiggle himself out of it.  We eventually called it a draw.  We can partially be seen in the darce video that Conan and Ray shot yesterday:



After bowing out, Conan asked me if I had time to roll.  I felt better against him than I usually do.  At one point I was even able to get side control.  Whether he was just letting me or not I do not care to guess.  He used a cool side control escape that we had worked on in a previous class but had yet to see in action.  I think I will try it next chance I get.  He submitted me with an Americana.  Conan showed me the side control escape and we worked on it, we also worked on a few other escapes from half guard and mount.  He also showed me some pointers with how to deal with a thing that David does.


I think I'm going to have to start making these blog entries right after the class because I find myself not able to remember a lot of the specifics as far as how open mat went and what techniques we worked on.

1 comment:

  1. i think mike was making a comment on how you make verbal comments when something doesn't go your way.

    ReplyDelete