Thursday, November 12, 2015

November 12th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg, Upa Escape, Cross Collar Choke from Mount
Partner: Ben

Techniques felt fine today, nothing out of the ordinary.  We worked on some of the alternate setups to the upa.  Greg gave the advice that if their arms are above your head then pull it down onto your chest.  If their arms are off to the side grab the sleeve and put it down on your hip before bridging.  We also worked on the s-mount choke variation that Andy showed the day before.

Rolling: Mount (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Ben, Megan, Robert, Morgan

Made a concerted effort at the cross collar choke but couldn't pull it off today, I just can't get the second grip, but I'll keep working on it.  Maybe I'll watch some Roger competition footage to see how he sets it up.  Free rolling was fine and spent some time in deep half.  It seems like the waiter sweep is really coming along for me. 

I rolled with Megan for the first time and switched between trying to set stuff up slowly to walking her through a couple techniques.

Office Hours Partner: Robert

I rolled with Robert twice during class and then we did a 10 minute round after class.  He is very difficult for me to roll with, his pacing, strength, and technique makes him very difficult deal with.  Exactly what I need to prepare for the competition.  I attempted a star sweep but couldn't complete it but ended up in half guard.  I also ended up in deep half a lot and was able to sweep once.  From side control I was able to pull off the elbow push escape back to guard, but I never got much offense going and Robert was on top most of the time.

We did the overtime rounds after the 10 minute rounds and he was able to submit me there.  I burned out my forearm trying to bow and arrow choke him and then went right into the armbar position and couldn't hang on.  So something to think about for the overtime rounds.  The biggest thing that Greg said I need to work on is my conditioning.  I need to challenge myself in upcoming classes and do some extra workouts before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment