Tuesday, November 24, 2015

November 24th 2015 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Butterfly Guard: Arm Drag, Hook Sweep, Knee Tap
Partner: Jordan A

Always good to have a butterfly guard refresher, especially since it's one of Greg's best positions.  I have some success with the position as well.  Some tips:
  •  Arm Drag: don't try to pull your opponent or pull yourself do both and adjust to which ever happens.  If you start taking the back focus on getting the harness grip and then pulling them down and hip escaping instead of crawling on top of their turtle.
  • Hook Sweep: trying to hang off my opponent has been the most recent thing that I learned that helps from this position.  I do tight shoulder pressure and try to hang in the direction of their base out leg so they can't lift it.
Rolling: Free Rolling (4 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Jordan, Greg, Morgan, Ben

Rolling has felt better than ever lately.  I feel like things are really clicking and I have a sense of urgency.  Competition prep has been pretty good to me this time around.  I got to roll with Greg and was able to keep him from submitting me but it was only because we were close to the wall and the time ran out just as he was working on a head and arm choke. 

In my other rolls I felt like half guard and guillotines are kings of my no gi game.  I can use guillotines to help me get better positions and to submit while half guard from the bottom to recover and sweep.  I've also had some success with the over/under pass in no gi even though I have to modify it because of the lack of pant grips.  I also got to attack the back a little today and work on hand fighting from there.

Office Hours Partner: Greg

I got a huge pointer on the spiral armbar after class.  I've had many people escape while I'm setting up the submission.  Greg showed me to step up a little higher and them put some inside knee pressure and start to turn the corner.  This will help a lot because when I get some of the better guys in this position they've been able to get their shoulder back to the mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment