Wednesday, November 4, 2015

November 4th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: RNC Defense to O-Soto Gari, Kneeling Guard Break to Single Under Pass
Students: Mike A, Tom, Austin, Daniel

Mike and I started our first alternating teaching collaboration today.  Him and I are switching off teaching the Wednesday noon class and I got the first one.  Went pretty well, we were a little worried as the start of class approached and no one was there but eventually a few straggled in.

Did a warm-up progression with practicing the double leg, then sprawling, and finally sitout doing some reps with each exercise.  Some tips for this week's techniques:
  • When moving to the position to throw with O-Soto Gari, hold their arm tight to your shoulder and be leaning forward as you make the short steps
  • For the single under pass, your arm with your elbow on the inside is your triangle prevention arm.  Pay special attention to it and make sure they don't get under your elbow in the process to triangle you
  • I like to think of angles during this pass.  When you are under their leg push straight forward and go to a plank position.  Once their hips are off the floor then turn 90 degrees.  Then push forward again to bring their legs to the floor.
  • The elbow of the reaching hand is also important as there are some easy escapes if you flare that elbow when grabbing the gi collar.
Since we had some extra time Mike and I showed the split pass.  There were some pieces that Mike helped with that I didn't know like windshield wiping over the knee, so I'm glad we worked on it. 

Rolling: Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Austin, Mike

First couple rounds I observed.  I was impressed with Daniel as I had no idea how much experience he has and I made the comment that "he has some skills."  He had to sit out at the end of a roll with Austin so I jumped in and had a quick roll.

I rolled with Mike after that and it was a leg lock defending back take battle for me.  He had my back when the time ran out and gave me some pointers about how I could have escaped during the rolling back take.

Office Hours Partner: Tom, Mike

Tom asked about retaining guard and Mike and I gave him quite a bit of information.  I recognized his problem as something that I got over not too long ago.  He was laying on his back trying to use his legs to prevent getting passed.  We went through sitting up, breaking grips, getting grips before laying back again or scooting under.  We also talked about shin to shin guard for entry into single leg x. 


No comments:

Post a Comment