Thursday, October 13, 2016

October 13th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Cross Collar Choke from Back, Guillotine from Closed Guard
Students: Bhuvana, Shane, Jess, Anthony, Frank

Had them do a standing arm drag to the back to valley drop drill for part of the warm-up.  With Seoi Nage I tried to incorporate some of the stuff that Bob has helped me with.  Stepping into the tip of the triangle and getting them off balance.  One thing I also emphasized today was the importance of falling correctly.

The cross collar choke or sliding lapel choke has actually turned into one of my highest percentage chokes.  At first I discounted it because I liked the bow and arrow so much more, but now I go to this first and then if I can't finish it will transition to bow and arrow.  I consider this choke pretty direct and I don't have to work as hard.

With the guillotine Bhuvana actually pointed out something that I forgot during instruction which is how Greg gets his hip off to the side.  It's a really great detail as you really get out of their way as their head falls to the floor.

Rolling: Back Mount, Guard, Free Rolling


I didn't get to roll that much today due to even number of students.  Saw some good stuff and was surprised by Anthony as he just came back from a long break.  He was using his flexibility and redirecting bigger guys pretty well.  Jess the new guy was doing some good things too but also gassing himself out a bit, won't be long before he gets used to it. I saw Shane setup an awesome triangle and when he got stacked he underhooked the far leg and took total control of his partners posture.  So cool to watch people improve.




No comments:

Post a Comment