Thursday, October 6, 2016

October 6th 2016 - Gi All Levels (Ray's Return?)

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock escape to valley drop, Back Mount: Basic Escape, RNC
Partner: Sara

Ray walked into class today after a long time (years?) of not training.  He taped his ankle like it was in a cast and spoke about expecting to be humbled upon his return.  I hope his fears about not being as good as when he left don't keep him away since most of us consider him family. 

Tips on Techniques of the week:
  • Valley Drop: I find this to be one of the more fun self defense techniques because you really get to whip your opponent around.  Sara did a great job with it against me.  Make sure you pull on their far arm as you step in a circular motion.
  • Escaping back mount: Fighting to get your head on the side that you want to escape to is the #1 priority, followed by getting your shoulders to the floor.
  • RNC: I feel more confident in my gi chokes than this one in the gi, but would like to get better at it.  The more I work on trapping my opponent's arm the better I feel about the choke.
Rolling: Back Mount, Half Guard
Rolled With: Bhuvana, Ray, Sara, Ben, Tim, Justin

Had some good rolls today.  Didn't hit any RNCs but did escape with deep half and saw some others do it too.  It's a very valid back mount go to escape.  Then when we did some half guard I saw some more deep half. 

Rolling with Ray was an experience as always.  He complimented me saying that I'm a lot better than I was.  He did try the ankle lock from inside my back mount that I was a worried about but was able to find the angle to avoid having to tap this time.  He was able to escape to deep half as I was with him.  I was torn about being concerned about hurting him but also wanted to give him a good roll.  Hopefully we'll see him again on the mats soon.

Office Hours Partner: Tim

Was happy that Tim stayed after today to roll a few times, even though I forgot that I had to get back to work for a meeting.  I showed him some deep half entry stuff as he was getting caught in half guard with a cross face when he went for it.  We also discussed some passing basics about grip fighting etc.  



No comments:

Post a Comment