Friday, October 11, 2013

October 11th 2013 - Gi (You Shall Not Pass!)

Theme: Retaining Guard

Due to the conversation that Mike and I were having less than 9 hours prior about my guard retention.  Conan decided to go over some concepts and techniques that are useful when your opponent is standing and trying pass your guard.  I really appreciate him focusing a class around something I need to work on!

Luckily Bauer was the only other soul to make it in for the Jiu-Jitsu class during the wee hours of Friday morning.  We went through several concepts of grabbing sleeves and stiff arming to reclaim guard, or directing their head as they attempted to pass, or using de la riva to take the back or keep them at bay and finally using the butterfly hook to get a shin sweep or stretch them out.  We also went over some passes using a combination of sleeve grab and knee grab to get around them and passing the de la riva by getting free of their hooks.

Rolling: One Standing One sitting trying to pass/sweep/submit

We did four minute rounds of one person up and the other down.  I felt pretty good about my passing until my cardio caught up with me.  It was hard work trying to be mobile and get grips and attempt to pass while avoid Bauer's legs.  It seemed like both of us did much better at passing the guard than retaining it.  I tried a lot of the concepts Conan showed us and was able to put some of them into play.  I kept reminding myself to keep getting up and not lay back. 

It was a very productive class that helped solidify that this part of my game needs to be refined.  Which is good because I've been looking for the next thing to focus on. 

WHOYA: October 12th 2012 - Gi

Greg taught and the focus of the class was regaining guard from turtle.  Not my favorite, but I have had some success in preventing guard passes by going to turtle recently.  We did the three basic techniques that I know: Sit-out, granby roll, and sit-out using the shin to regain guard.

 I rolled with Mike, Greg, Fuji, and wrestler Jordan and things haven't changed much since then.  The one true, funny line in reference to Greg from the post was: "I can't tell if I'm doing good against him or if he is just taking it easy on me."


I can't tell if I'm doing good against him or if he is just taking it easy on me.  - See more at: http://joshjiujitsujournal.blogspot.com/2012/10/october-12th-gi.html#sthash.ny0Wl5jq.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment