Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October 29th 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme and Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Side Control Escape knee in to recover guard, Far Side Armbar from Top Side Control

I worked with Fuji for this portion of the class.  Who better to work on side control escapes with than the person that makes me feel helpless from this position.  Regardless, after a few reps, I felt great about my pace and fluidity with the technique.

With the armbar Greg taught one thing differently than when I normally do it; he showed us to grab our own gi collar to secure the arm.  I had a little trouble with Fuji trying to do this, but I can see how it would be useful. 

Rolling: Side Control Position, Free Rolling

I rolled with Fuji first and he is still working his brabo grip.  I don't have a any good answers from the bottom of Fuji's side mount except to survive.  I emphasized movement and stay as north/south as I could when I was on top.  I've been caught with my weight too far forward too many times to be wary of him rolling me over.  

I rolled with Jordan for the next round.  We had quite the battle of me trying to get to half guard that I had to pull out all of the stops for.  After class ended Greg showed him the other side control escape and then Jordan and I rolled a few times.  He's improving and getting more difficult to deal with. 

Evening
Theme and Techniques: Double Leg Takedown, Scissor Sweep, Triangle for Blocked Scissor Sweep

 I worked with a new guy, Andy, for this portion of the class.  He seems pretty chill and was good to work with.  We talked for a little bit and he's been involved with MMA for a while and has won some fights.  He's a little new in the gi though, so his grips aren't there yet, but he's competent otherwise. 

The double leg was pretty cool as I was just showing Mike before class a version of a single setup very similar.   We did two on one to break the collar grip and then grabbed both sleeves and shot in while pulling them over us. 

Scissor sweep was the same as I've done hundreds of times but the triangle set-up I haven't seen for a while.  If the opponent is blocking the leg you want to do the scissor, with we would put our shin over their bicep and break the grip, then shoot our leg up and attack the triangle with a deep collar grip.  It was pretty cool, but I often had trouble with cinching up the triangle.

Rolling: Guard Gauntlet, Free Rolling

Blue belts were each given a specific guard position to start in (Me: Half Guard, Will: Full Gaurd, Jerad: Spider Guard, Mike: Top Full Guard).  Then we did 2 minute rounds with Pass/Sweep/Submit.  I didn't get a count of how many white belts were there tonight but it was a lot.  The cool thing was no one passed me, my goal was to sweep everyone, which I did not complete.  I got smashed to my back a lot and felt a little like there were things that I should have been doing but couldn't think of what.

I rolled with Will for the free rolling and both of us wanted to start out sitting in guard, so I finally decided to start trying to pass.  I eventually made it to side control and then started setting up a north/south kimura.  I went for an armbar instead and we scrambled and I ended up in an inverted triangle position on the bottom that I couldn't finish and started to go for tke kimura again.  Time ended up running out right after he got free.  Not sure what I should have done differently but I think I should have completed that armbar.

WHOYA: October 29th 2012 - Gi (Punishment)

 I don't recall how it started but David, Mike, and I decided to have a friendly round robin tournament.  I ended up losing to Mike this night by advantages.  Apparently I did a pretty good trip to get him down to the ground but did not put him all the way on this back so, it didn't count for any points.  The rest of the match he attacked from his guard and I defended.

No comments:

Post a Comment