Thursday, October 24, 2013

October 24th 2013 - No Gi (Gorilla Warfare)

Theme: Attacking from Back Mount

I wore my new Tatami Zen Gorilla rash guard tonight.  It may be a bit out there compared to the plain solid color stuff I'm used to wearing, but it's very comfortable and fits me just right, I'm glad I went with a large instead of x-large.  I also got a fair share of compliments on it.  Apparently Henry has a Angry Panda rash guard coming so we foresee a Gorilla vs. Panda match going down in the near future.

Due to some that Greg had been asked about ways to attack from the back, he showed us a really cool retention technique.  When the opponent moves to the underhook side and tries to flatten out our leg, we would release our hook and the shrimp and pull them back to the side we want.  Then if they put up the knee to elbow barrier, we would cross our feet over their other thigh and hip into them to stretch them out.  This worked great to get them to open back up and allow the hook to go right back in.  It was really very simple but I had never seen it before.

Rolling: Back Mount Position, Free Rolling

We did positional rolling from the back for 3 minutes a piece.  I went with Adam, Mike, and Henry.  I feel pretty good about my performance.  There were a couple times I escaped back mount to side with Adam and Mike but couldn't improve after that. 

Free rolling I rolled with Adam, Henry, Will, and drilled with Mike.  Mike has a hurt rib from training so Greg asked him to take it easy and just pick something to drill.  He did a guard pull from the clinch to single x-guard and then sweep.  Pretty slick move.  I drilled the waiter sweep from deep half and felt pretty good about it.

Henry threatened me with a lot of guillotines today.  My neck must be sticking out too far from half guard.  He even got me to give up position at one point.  I was able to defend all of them off but they disrupted my attack game and made me go on the defensive. 

The thing I dislike about no gi is the sweat factor.  We are all so slippery and it makes it really difficult to complete submissions.  I missed some armbar opportunities because of it.  I guess the argument could be made that my technique wasn't tight enough and I need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment