Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3rd 2013 - No Gi (I Need a Shower)

Theme: Takedowns, Reverse De La Riva

This will be a fast post because I'm tired and want to get up early for 6 AM class, sorry for anything forgotten or misspellings.  We did some taking turns with ad lib stand-up fit-ins and then some takedown sparring.  Jerad and I were partnered up for the first one.  We could do any takedown we wanted but one person was the defender and one the attacker and the attacker had to attempt 4 shots.  I think this was a good exercise since I'm not where I want to be takedown-wise and I suck at shooting.  The next round I went with Will and besides one embarrassing slip that allowed him to take my back.

Greg had us do two sweeps from reverse DLR.  The first one was a push and ankle trip into a knee slide.  I feel pretty good about the technique, but not about the position in general.  If their foot was too far away for us to trip, the second technique was to situp wrap our arm around their calf and our leg around their ankle and complete a technical stand-up.  This would lead to a single leg or a kind of knee bar takedown.

Rolling: Free


I rolled with Will, Jerad, and Henry.  I feel pretty good about my performance considering all the congestion I'm carrying around.  Henry even had to stop once to let me hack up a lung.  Jerad was probably the most frustrating.  I felt like attempting to pass his guard was futile and the I have to worry about him sweeping me.  He mentioned that he was trying some type of new sit-up thing that he saw in a video but I was too out of it after class to understand.

I mentioned at the end of class that I was starting to hate no gi.  I don't feel good about my guard passing and I feel even worse about my wrestling.  While you would think this would make me want to stop doing no gi, it actually has inspired me try harder and figure it out.  

The mats were so gross after class and I felt like a hot mess.  Henry and I both noticed that our hands were pruney.  I took my water bottle and sat against the wall with a towel over my head for a while.  I ended up producing quite a sweat puddle.  Eventually I got calmed down enough to change and head home and take a needed shower. 

WHOYA: October 2nd 2013 - Gi

Will ended up being the teacher in one of the few Tuesday evening classes we had at the dojo.  We worked on some half guard from the bottom which I'm always happy to do.  It looks like I spent quite a bit of time rolling with Mike and a little with Will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment