Wednesday, October 23, 2013

October 22nd 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening (All By Myself)

Noon
Theme:  Drilling

Being the only person to attend class is a little bit of a mixed blessing.  Yes I get awesome private instruction and the class is tailored to things that I need improvement on.  However, if the attendance of the class doesn't pick up I'm assuming eventually the class will be eliminated.  Let's hope that doesn't happen because I am getting the perfect amount of mat time with the new schedule.

We each picked three things to drill for 7 minutes a piece I believe.  I chose 2 on 1 to butterfly guard back take, Omaplata, and the side control stiff arm escape Greg has been working on.  Mostly with the omaplata I worked for the submission, but I also did a few reps with the roll if they posture to defend.  I think we finally figured out what the problem was, I was pushing with my leg too much instead of just using my shoulders and torso to do the back roll.

Rolling: Free Rolling

Greg had more backs to take during our rolling session.  That's pretty much all there was to it.  I defended over and over but a lot of my effort was for not. 

Evening
Theme and Techniques: Conditioning, Judo Turnover to Side Control and Back take

We went through a series of partner exercises for which I was partnered up with Adam.  The exercises included: Standing Guard break pick-up, Sit-ups from lifted guard, Rowing our partner, benching a sprawled partner, Sit-ups, leg pressing a sprawled partner.  I had a hard time lifting Adam over and over, which probably was the reason we took the longest to finish.  It was a great workout and my body held out just fine.

The rest of the class was spent drilling the Judo turnover which is just reaching under and grabbing the lapel from turtle and grabbing a sleeve and pulling them over while getting out of their way.  The back take slide felt really natural and smooth from both sides.

Rolling: Turtle Position & Free Rolling

I did turtle position drills with both Adam and Will.  I did well with being able to escape a couple times from bottom and end up in side control from the top position with both partners.  The granby roll was working where in the past I'd hesitate while trying to figure out which way to turn my head.

I free rolled with Alec and stayed as close to him as I could.  His small size allows him to take advantage of any space given.  I think I did well matching his game though and playing some butterfly, x-guard, spider stuff.

Chris and Adam were my next opponents and both crushed me pretty good.  Chris neutralized my half guard game.  I feel like I use way too much energy and strength trying to defend him.  I want to relax but my technique isn't to a point yet where I can flow with him like a want to.  Eventually he put me into side control and then put me in a far side armbar that I saw coming but couldn't escape.  Adam played half guard bottom and I was able to defend a while by threatening a guillotine.  He eventually took top side and put a lot of pressure with knee on belly until he secured a kimura.

Can't help but be a little discouraged by how I was man handled by Chris and Adam.  It just makes me want to get back to the mats and drill more stuff.  It's a good thing that there are plenty of people around that are better than me.  I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle skill wise at the school and probably most of the new guys think the same way about me as I do about Adam and Chris...and Jerad and Mike and Fuji and Ray and Conan and Greg (probably forgetting some people).

WHOYA: October 22nd 2012 - Gi (Magic Grip)

Jerad taught with a focus on Kimuras.  I remember this class well as a video had been circulating the dojo that contained the kimura magic grip.  I think I might try to bring this technique back as I'm finding myself in this position lately but I've never been good at finishing a kimura. 

We did some king of the mat and I express some confidence in my guard playing and mention cross guard which has been huge for me lately.  I also worked with Jerad on some tornado guard and Mike on the bull fighter pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment