Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25th 2013 - Gi

Theme: Triangle Choke, Side Control Escape

I had a little trouble dragging myself out of bed this morning and thought I was going to be the only one until Air Force Brian showed up.  Triangle is a really cool technique and probably one of the few techniques that a layperson would recognize.  However, it is not something I pull off in practice very often.  I have the basics of the technique down pretty well but body type and my past knee issues make it a little difficult to complete.  We drilled it several times using a collar grab and punching their wrist to their body as the set-up.

We then worked on the basic side control escape bridging and then knee across the belly.  For some reason the first time I tried it I had some trouble rolling to my other side but I figured it out as we drilled. 

Rolling: Side Control Position, Free Rolling

Brian did a good job of preventing my escapes.  It's starting to sink in that I need to spend more time figuring out defense from this position.  I think I may have to bite the bullet and start from this position more often.  With certain people it's inevitable that I get there but with the newer guys it might be beneficial for both of us to have them start out on top.  If I get submitted, so be it.

I tried desperately to set-up the 2 on 1 from closed to butterfly guard and it wasn't happening.  So I failed at accomplishing my main goal for the roll.  Regardless we both did good things and he's doing very well for how long he's been doing this. 

WHOYA: October 25th 2012 - Gi (Worth the Trip)

This was one of the classes where I wasn't able to make it on time to an early Thursday due to work getting in the way.  Seriously, damn priorities!  Conan and Mike handed me my ass with loop chokes and magic grips during the open mat portion of class.  I also mention that I borrowed Conan's Deep Half Guard DVD and I still have it a year later.  I better return it.

No comments:

Post a Comment