Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October 1st 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening ()

Noon Beginner

Theme: Cross Guard to Omaplata sweep, Over/Under Pass

Jordan and I were the only attendants.  The class couldn't have been more perfect for both of us.  I can see Jordan picking up on a lot of the things that I have been naturally drawn to.  We did quite a few reps of the omaplata sweep.  I payed special attention to the far side leg to put pressure on the hip and their arm or body, something that I haven't paid enough attention to.

The over/under pass was new for Jordan but it didn't take too long for him to figure out.  To improve this technique I worked on keeping my butt down and also Greg suggested that I put the person's leg higher onto my shoulder.  This felt a lot better.

Rolling: Closed Guard Pass/Sweep/Submit

Jordan had also been sick recently and felt a little queasy.  We only trained together a couple rounds before he had to sit out.  I was able to hit a few omaplata sweeps and he almost hit one on me.  I was happy with my guard passing attempts against Greg, although he hit the spider guard sweep on me multiple times.  I had one string of 4 guard passing attempts in a row that ended with him retaining his guard, but I had the illusion that I got somewhere.

Evening All Levels

Theme: Hip Throw with Neck, Armbar from Guard, Stack defense for the armbar

I worked with Adam during the technique portion of class.  We got quite a few reps in with both techniques.  The major takeaway was the defense using the rear naked choke arm position to prevent the armbar before stacking.

Rolling: Closed Guard Up/Down/Out, King of the Mat, Free Rolling

Had a lot of success here.  Swept or passed the people I should have and got swept or passed by the people I should have.  Except for one.  I was able to pass Adam's guard which is a very rare event for me.  I was in half guard and did the hip switch and then used the brabo grip to assist with the crossface until I could get my leg free.

I rolled with both Will and Moe.  I played around with the triangle from side control setup with both of them with a little success.  Will took it to me after that from top half guard and I was impressed with the amount of shoulder pressure he put on me.  I had Moe work on the bull fighter sweep a little bit and tried to stress when passing guard standing that controlling the pants was crucial. 

WHOYA: October 1st 2012 - Gi

In the beginning of the post I mention that Will and I rolled, which is something that also happened today.  Greg taught that night with a focus on completing the sweep from butterfly guard after being pushed flat on our backs using the overhook.  It sounds like Mike and I had quite the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment