Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 5th 2013 - Kids Class & Open Mat

Kid's Class

Greg is doing a great job with the class.  He keeps them very busy and uses the right kind of voice and excitement to keep the kids interested.  My boys love it.  Fuji's daughter was also in attendance.  As usual we started out with some animal walks: shrimp, bear, crab.  Followed by some break fall practice.  Jayden and Jace were doing great with everything. 

We played our first game of the day which was a new one for the kids.  I think Greg called it sprawl ball or ball sprawl.  We stood in a circle and rolled the ball to each other and the receiver would sprawl on the ball.  Fuji and I even got some good practice in.  The kids had a little trouble at first because they kept rolling over the ball, but they eventually learned to keep their legs back. 

There is always a Jiu-Jitsu technique portion of the class and today we worked on transitioning from side mount to mount.  I was impressed with how well the kids did with each detail.  Switching their hand position, rolling to the hip, pulling their legs down, then stepping over.  We finished the class with a game of foot tag.  Which is just like it sounds.  Elsa wasn't feeling it so it ended up being me, Jayden, Jace and Greg.  I'm not sure if Jace understands the concept of tag, because he always wanted to be it.

Open Mat
Rolled with: Adam, Fuji, Henry, Mike

Not too much to say about today.  I spent almost all of my time in the bottom of side control with Adam, Fuji, and Mike. Adam and Fuji crushed me and eventually worked their way into a submission, both with collar chokes using the brabo grip.  Mike was all over me and kept switching sides whenever I tried an escape.  Mike got me with a bow and arrow choke, and a couple armbars.

Henry was a different story.  While I'm more advanced than him at this point, I do envy him.  He's only 22 and just beginning his BJJ journey.  How awesome it would have been for me to have had the opportunity to start at 22.  The highlight of the day is the armbar that I pulled off using the brabo grip setup that Mike had just shown Ray and I right before we rolled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment