Friday, July 10, 2015

July 10th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Underhook to Back or Recover Guard
Students: Zack, Josh, Jordan, Austin

I did a couple extra warm-ups today with adding in Homer Simpsons, sitouts, armbar drill from guard, and the single under pass recovery to triangle drill.  Had a few problems teaching the last one but I think toward the end of the warm-up everyone was doing it acceptably. 

Once again I tried my best to relate the half guard knowledge that I think I have.  I showed a few things that I use to get the under hook and stressed that using your legs are so important in half guard. 

We went over the 2 techniques and it seemed like everyone had been to class throughout the week.  I didn't have to point out too many changes.  A few still kind of pulled them on top of their hips instead of letting them fall into the back mount position. 

I taught the beginnings of deep half but it might have been a bit of a mistake because it slowed the pace of the class down a bit.  It would really need to have more time dedicated to it instead of an afterthought.  If anything hopefully it showed them some different possibilities for half guard.

Rolling: Half Guard Position (2 x 2 min), Half Guard Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Everyone

I had them go one round of positional sparring but I didn't really want to sit today.  So we did up/down/out with the 5 of us, so the person on rest didn't get too much resting.  I had more trouble from the top than the bottom which is good.  Everyone was pretty adamant about getting the underhook so I went for other things.  I almost got into trouble with a kimura that Zack slapped on but I kept my posture and kind of floated until got to side control but it could have gone either way. 

Office Hours Partner: Zack

I practiced the kimura from half guard to back take a few times and then we did some rounds of half guard position.  We got into a discussion about our games and weaknesses and I mentioned that I'll have issues with the person I'm rolling with going to turtle from side control.  He showed me a pretty cool loop choke variation that I haven't seen before.  I really took to it and think I may try to cultivate it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment