Wednesday, July 15, 2015

July 15th 2015 - Gi All Levels & Gi Advanced

Morning Class
Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle
Partner: Mike, Brian (Back Draft)

My lower back was a little tight this morning but felt better after the warm-up.  Had some trouble with the knee slide and I think it had mostly to do with my knee pads.  I keep forgetting to hold the sleeve.  We did some trying to power through if they got the gi grip and it was a little tough. 

Rolling: Half Guard (4 x 2 min), Turtle Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (5 min)
Rolled With: Mike, Morgan, Greg, Austin, Brian

I felt better with regaining guard or half guard from turtle rather than granby rolling.  Although I did make some attempts.  From the top I had some success with getting the bottom hook in while attempting the Judo turnover.  Mike had shown me a little trick yesterday that worked well for me where instead of placing my knee and pulling them over, I get on the toes of that foot and pull them over my leg and then the hook can pop right in. 

Office Hours Partner: Brian, Mike

I worked with Brian on the shaolin sweep variation and he seemed to like it.  Hopefully I don't share it with too many people before I get good at it.  I think I just need to get it to a point where I get my grips and then can pull them into it.

Mike and I had a conversation about position and submission and how they don't have to necessarily be separate things.  He used Greg's back control as an example how it starts as back mount position and then it just gets worse and worse until you have to tap, but there is no point where you would say okay now he's going for the choke it's more of a process.  I'll have to gather my thoughts on it more.

Advanced 
Theme & Techniques: Spider Guard to Single Leg X against Combat Base
Partner: Adam

It was great to get to an advanced class and work on something outside of the beginner curriculum.  Had a few problems with this at first.  To get a butterfly hook on their up leg I had to shrimp out more.  I also had some trouble getting my other leg into x-guard.  After that we would end in the split pass.

Rolling: Spider Guard (6 x 3 min), Free Rolling (5 min)
Rolled With: Adam, Gina, Robert, Henry

Had some success with spider guard from top and trying to pass it.  I felt like a few times I was putting myself into the double ankle sweep.  Probably the best thing I did was a lasso sweep with Robert.  Mike was watching and made a comment about what Robert could have done to defend to which I said something like "come on, can't you put it in a positive way and say good job for me?"  Only joking of course.  Henry whooped my butt pretty good in free rolling. 

After class I went over a few deep half things with Henry mostly concerning hooking the foot.  He's been watching the Ryan Hall DVD so anything that I can share I will.  Hopefully I get him to help me get better at defending wrestling.

No comments:

Post a Comment