Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Escape to Armbar, Turtle Turnover to Side Mount & Back Mount
Partner: Zack

Not much to report on this portion of the class.  During the demonstration of the judo turnover Conan showed that in no-gi you can put your fingers in their hip flexor and being the demonstratee it surprised me a little bit when he jammed his fingers in my hip.

I felt pretty good about my sliding under and getting my hook in for that portion. It's something that I've been working on lately while acquiring back mount.

Rolling: Turtle Position (4 x 2 min), Side Control(2 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Zack, Jordan, Ben, Grant

Had some good rolling.  Everyone that I rolled with did some good things.  From the top I do well but on the bottom, I really need to act quickly because it really only gets worse.  Zack is tough in turtle and I always have to worry about my collar with him.  Jordan made it pretty difficult to pass his guard.  He did a great job at keeping my hips down in side control.  I went over passing from transitioning from side control to mount with Ben and showed him some ways to prevent me from catching half guard in the transition. 

Office Hours Partner: Conan, Zack

Conan rolled with both Zack and I twice.  While he did get winded a few times, he was still kicking our asses.  Zack seemed to fair better than me but I had some good moments.  When I asked Conan if he had seen anything that could be improved in my rolling, he just said that I need to insist on what I want more.  This is something I struggle with still.  How much effort do I need to put into a certain technique or position before I go for something else.   We talked about dealing with top half guard when they have the underhook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment