Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 1st 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Standing Guard Break, Torreando Pass
Partner: Ben

Mike had us do some kuzushi with partners as a part of our warm-up.  I enjoyed it but still don't feel like I have a good grasp on setting up throws, just need to do it more because I think I have the techniques down.

Mike had some good details on stiff arm position during the standing guard break.  He turns sideways a bit once he gets the collar grip to put more shoulder into it and ensuring the arm stays straight.  I definitely use my shoulder during this technique but I haven't thought about the turn as being a factor.

One thing that I pointed out to Ben that made a difference for him was that he was driving my leg down too far as a part of the break.  This was kind of messing up his posture as he was leaning over way too much trying to drive my knee to the ground which isn't necessary.

I went over the side control bow and arrow variation quickly with Ben as he was ending up in the position for it after the pass.

Rolling: Guard Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Ben, Ross, Burly

Had some good rolls.  I attempted the standing guard break from the top a couple times.  I was able to break but ended up going for double unders many times rather than torreando, it's like these guys are looking for it.  I was also able to pass with a tozi pass.

I talked Burly through some things like getting to side control and going for an americana and rolled pretty light with her.  She seems to be understanding when shes in trouble because whenever I went to mount she would say, "oh shit!"

I hit a waiter sweep on Ross, however I didn't do it good enough because he was able to turn it into a straight ankle lock.  I was thinking, "wait a second, you're not supposed to be able to do that!"  Regardless props to him because it was a legit technique.  

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We went over the waiter sweep and what I probably did wrong.  Most of it has to do with follow through.  I just need to get up with a lot of these types of sweeps.  Also I should have sprawled my leg back as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment