Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 14th 2015 - Gi Beginner, No Gi Takedowns, Drilling Open Mat, All Levels

My wife took the kids on a little vacation this week and I'm going to try to get in as much Jiu-Jitsu as my body will allow.  I'll probably try to keep these posts short so that they're not too time consuming.

Noon Class
Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle
Partner: Shane

I feel like I've seen O-Soto Gari a lot lately because the kids just did it the last 2 weeks.  Shane was a good partner, maybe a little spazzy at times but he has a good attitude and is willing to learn.

Some things to remember for this week's techniques:
  • For O-Soto Gari: punch around their head and pull down on their arm (drive the bus) putting their weight on the leg you are about to sweep
  • Half Guard Pass: practice this pass a lot with lifting the knee and sliding your hip down, this will be useful for other situations as well. 
  • Granby Roll: Figure out which side your head should go based on which side the opponent is on
  • Roll under yourself instead of rolling forward
  • Once you have that stuff down, trust this technique.
Rolling: Half Guard Position (2 x 2 min), Turtle Position (2 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Shane, Bhuvana, Robert

Rolling felt good today with no joint problems holding me back.  Shane did pretty good in half guard for being new.  Bhuvana was a trooper from turtle.  She kept trying the granby even though I would put her into side control, I don't think she was diving her shoulder deep enough and rolling under herself.

Had a good roll with Robert and did some good things.  Wrestling is still a problem for me and I think I may need to commit to sitouts and sprawling and practice them more. There was a point when I swept him from half guard at one point but as soon as I did he got up and caught me with a single to double leg. 

Office Hours Partner: Robert, Zack

Did a couple 5 minute rounds for Robert.  I had some success with a triangle to omoplata setup.  He eventually rolled out into side control but he got up again and took me down with a single leg again.  I really need to find an answer for this.

After that with Zack I worked on a shaolin sweep variation that Greg showed me it's coming along, but I need some confidence in it before I use it during rolling.  We did some positional sparring from half guard and Zack did very well against me, I'll have to up my top half guard game.

No-Gi Takedowns
Theme & Techniques: Hand Fighting and Positioning, Single Leg
Partner: Henry

This was a tough class mostly because I'm not used to doing standing up lately.  After some floor exercises Adam had us partner up with 1 partner being defensive and the other on the offense.  The former was just supposed to maintain their stance and keep from getting tied up.  There were times when I felt awkward mostly not knowing what to do with my hands or when was the best time to move in. 

Rolling: King of the Mat Takedowns
Rolled With: Tyler, Mike (New), Henry

I had some success mostly with guillotine chokes or reversals once I got taken down.  Adam reviewed an ankle pick off of a tie up that I like.  I could feel my lower back tightening up a bit, I'm really not used to this but it was still fun and I think I learned some things.

Drilling Open Mat
Parter: Adam
Drilled: Shaolin sweep, Spiral Armbar

The sweep felt great.  It helped that Adam did the sweep as well and me and Greg had to help him with it a little.  The big takeaway was that Greg is not trying to load the opponent on top of him but trying to push him over past him. 

All Levels
Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle
Partner: Adam

I really started to feel tired during drilling.  We had a tough time at first figuring out how to get our knees free but with time we saw the value in smashing their leg down. 

Rolling: Turtle Position (4 x 2 min), King of the Mat Half Guard
Rolled With: Adam, Mike, Greg, Darijo, Casey, Jerad, and Others

I had a tough time in turtle with both Adam and Mike.  Adam scraped my face across the mat a couple times and Mike was putting me in the crucifix.  I definitely need to be challenged from this position more.  King of the mat went well.  I surprised myself a couple times with recovering guard.  I didn't see an opportunity to hit the new shaolin but I was on the lookout for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment