Tuesday, July 21, 2015

July 21st 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Escape to Armbar, Turtle Turnover to Side Mount & Back Mount
Partner: Bhuvana

Had a big Tuesday class with quite a few people that don't usually attend.  A couple things I noticed while doing the head lock escape.  Don't come at it with your elbow already bent to push away.  Make it more like a punch motion and go across their cheek.  Next after scooting your hips out, you have to lift your hips off the floor with both legs.  Use your raised hand to hand off their head to your leg. 

Rolling: Turtle Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Bhuvana, Josh (Beard), Alejandro

I think some time spent on turtle may be in my future.  I know from rolling with Aquila, Adam, and Greg last week that there is more to the top position.  So I need to learn how to do those things and defend them.  Josh and Bhuvana both gave me a hard time while I was on bottom.  I was able to roll through a couple times but only if I tried it right away. 

Rolled with Alejandro again.  He swept me right from the start with de la riva right over his head.  Wow, no one else plays that.  The only thing I seem to do reasonably well against him seems to be deep half guard.  I get there I feel a little safe.  I start to sweep, but he pulls me into an armlock.  He made the comment later that deep half was one of his favorite positions so I plan to pick his brain about that.

Office Hours Partner: Alejandro, Zack, Robert

Robert wanted some 5 minute rounds so the three of us each took one.  I rolled again with Alejandro and it was more of the same.  He passed my guard quite easily with an x-pass.  I tried to push his knee away and Greg warned me to grab his sleeve instead.  I think that roll ended with a brabo choke. 

Zack just wanted me to attack his back.  I think I did a fairly good job controlling although he eventually ended up in the bottom of mount.

Had a decent roll with Robert in no-gi.  I was mostly on the bottom the whole time in some type of half guard.  Whenever I would get close to sweeping I felt like he would threaten a guillotine and slow me down and take me out of position. 



No comments:

Post a Comment