Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28th 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Back Mount Wing Choke & Bow and Arrow
Partner: Robert

Greg wanted to save some extra time for the positional sparring at the end so after the floor exercises we got into the technique.  There was a new detail to the wing choke that he added this time around.  Instead of just pushing the arm up and behind their neck we would push their arm out and away in kind of a circle to make their defense weaker.  This is something that I always saw as a downside to the choke and wrote it off. 

One thing that others seemed to have a problem with on the bow and arrow was not scooting their hips to the side enough.  Once you get your collar grip and the pant grip move your feet and bump your hips over so you're lined up like you're doing an armbar.  One thing that Robert had trouble with was people on top of his leg and I showed him to roll them forward to free your leg and then complete the choke.

Rolling: 10 Minute Defensive Position Drill (2 x 10 min)
Rolled With: Robert

We did the 8 minute drill of 2 minute rounds with one person on the bottom of Back Mount, Mount, Side Mount, Turtle and then added an extra round for back mount.  I started on the offensive side first and did pretty well in both areas.  I was glad to be working with Robert because I think we challenge each other pretty well.  Not too many things of note.  I felt a little better about my top game and holding positions on him.  On the flip side he put me into trouble more than once but I also escaped a few times.  

Office Hours Partner: Robert

We did two 5 minute rounds of rolling.  I was trying very hard to be more assertive and aggressive.  I think this helped a lot at a couple of points where I usually would have laid back instead of getting up.  I was actually able to complete a legit sweep on him and was happy about it.  In our second round Greg wanted me to start from single leg x.  I didn't feel strong in this position at all but it was more to help Robert learn to deal with it.  At the end I asked Greg about it and saw him do the position.  I realized that he was raising his upper back a lot more than I was and he had the top person's shin in his armpit rather than on the hip.  It made all of the difference for this position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment