Wednesday, July 8, 2015

July 8th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Underhook to Back or Recover Guard
Partner: Josh (Beard)

Woke up feeling a lot better today.  At least I could walk normally.  I took some of my maintenance medication and I think that helped and hopefully I'm on the downward slope. 

Small class today and it went by super fast.  Half guard again and Josh gave the impression that he's been struggling with getting the underhook.  Well let me just saddle up here and give you all of my underhook knowledge.  I may have posited a couple nuggets of info by the end of the class.  I showed him that I use my legs a lot and search for the underhook with the elbow instead the hand.  Mike had a good comment while teaching the technique to control the relation of our hips kind of like in backmount. 

I realized that I had taught the backmount differently the day before.  I forgot that Greg had us get our harness grip before pushing them to their shoulder.  I was a little more loose and did kind of a Judo turnover type technique.  It still works but it's not the way Greg teaches it in the curriculum. 

Rolling: Free Rolling Starting from Half Guard
Rolled With: Josh

He had to leave early so we didn't roll for too long.  I made sure to keep him from getting the underhook off the bat and eventually passed.  He almost reversed me with his side control reversal he's been working on, but I was able to float and base to prevent it.  Probably the highlight of the day after that was that I setup the situp back take from north south that I've been working on and it went very well. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike

Rolling with Mike made me realize how much cardio I've lost in the last 3+ weeks of being injured.  I did some good deep half things, I had a sweep at one point, and we had a pretty cool leg lock battle but I eventually hit a wall.  He caught me with a mounted inverted triangle and a mounted triangle that turned into an armbar.  Despite him submitting me a few times, it was good to get a decent roll in mostly injury free.

No comments:

Post a Comment