Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 29th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Back Mount Wing Choke & Bow and Arrow
Partner: Kat, Morgan

Couple things to mention on the bow and arrow.  I have been trying to stay up but Greg specifically mentioned to fall on your side.  I asked him about it and it has a lot to do with compressing their defending arm.  It also allowed for the leg to push their hip better. 

The other part was the use of the wrist on the choking arm.  I find it's much better to have a strong wrist and flex it away with the fishing pole cast motion right from the start.  If the wrist is bent it takes pressure off of the neck.

Rolling: Back Mount (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (3 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Kat, Ross, Jordan, Morgan, Greg

Some great rolling today.  I'm continuing my quest to be insistent on what I want.  Difficult to do while defending the back but when we did free rolling I felt a difference.  Jordan was a good partner to do this with as he is athletic and he has some wrestling skills.  So getting up to attack where I would usually try to lay back and pull him in is not comfortable for me.  I fought a lot more from bottom turtle which I need to get used to. 

My roll with Greg was especially tough.  Putting more energy into the roll makes things go faster and more difficult to remember.  He had me hung up with a spider hook and I couldn't get around it.  I was preventing him from getting under me pretty well but eventually I lost balance and ended up on the bottom.  He's been going for arm triangle lately and I was able to defend that but kind of got stuck there.  In the end I recovered half guard right before the buzzer.

Office Hours Partner: Kat, Greg

I helped Kat with some things from back mount.  Like using my head position to help escape with.  Greg wanted to work on a back attack using a kimura grip to transition to an armbar. 



No comments:

Post a Comment