Thursday, July 16, 2015

July 16th 2015 - Drilling Open Mat & No Gi Advanced

I'll make this post quick since I have to be up to teach in the morning.  I'm feeling pretty good after these 3 days of enhanced training.  It was great to get some no gi in as well.  

Drilling Open Mat
Partner: Henry
Techniques: Deep Half Position, Head Lock Turtle Position

Deep half felt pretty good.  The waiter sweep is being a little elusive, I thought I was getting good at it but sometimes I get stuck with it not able to complete the sweep.  I helped Henry with taking the back a bit.  Then he helped me with dealing with wrestlers a bit.  He made the comment that I was probably trying to maintain side control too long and instead sometimes it's better to accept that turtle is happening and transition to deal with that.  We went over some headlock stuff as well and I found it all very helpful. 

Theme & Techniques: Butterfly Guard Arm Drag, Hand Fighting to Hook Sweep, Kneeling Knee Tap
Partner: Adam

I feel pretty good about my hook sweep in general, but there were times that it didn't feel right against Adam.  Not sure if it's because he's so wide or because he's heavier than most that I roll with.  The knee tap was a little difficult for me, but I think that is mostly because I wasn't hanging off my opponent like Greg told me after class. 

Rolling: Butterfly Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (3 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Adam, Caroline, Henry, Mike, Greg

Had some good rolls with everyone.  I ended up in some interesting leg lock positions with Mike and after some back and forth he submitted me with a knee bar.  My roll with Greg probably stands out the most.  It's amazing how easily he was putting me into the smash pass position when I thought I was in a decent guard.  He submitted me with head and arm choke twice, not sure if that is something he's working on now or something that I'm being more susceptible to.

Office Hours Partner: Greg

I asked Greg about the underhook in butterfly guard and why people are able to stand up in my guard some times.  He helped me with some minor adjustments on the position.  One thing was that he is kind of hanging off of his opponent or falling to the side once he gets the underhook.  This is something I could feel, I'll try to replicate when I get a chance to work on the position again.

No comments:

Post a Comment