Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 13th 2016 - No Gi All Beginner (Back in Town)

Theme & Techniques: Triangle from Closed Guard
Partner: Mo, Clint

I'm back after a week of vacation sans any training, so I was really jonsing for a BJJ fix. It is good to take a break every now and again to recharge the batteries and let some minor things heal. The one training I did benefit from was playing twister with my wife and kids. I actually got sore from holding a few crazy positions.

Jerad taught some basic triangle setups and I started working with Clint who was on his first day. We were of similar build so he had some trouble at first completing it just like I did with my stubby legs. But, I was able to give him some pointers that made a difference in the end.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min)
Rolled With: Clint, Shane

Clint had some wrestling and football but wasn't really familiar with closed guard. I tried to give him some active instruction by putting him close to being swept or close to having his guard passed and then talking him through how to recover.

Shane did a good job hand fighting making it tough for me to do what I wanted. I focused on trying to get 2 on 1 from the bottom and I had some success with it. To pass I attempted the double under guard break that Tinguinha showed us a long time ago.

Office Hours Partner: Shane, Gregory, Jerad

Shane said he hadn't seen the guard break before and also wanted to go over how to defend the double under pass. Seemed like he found both things useful.

I rolled with Gregory for the first time I think and he seemed to appreciate me going light with him.  We discussed the turtle turnover and also some of the double under pass defenses.  He's a good guy.

I saved up some energy to roll with Jerad and felt pretty good about my performance. I need to find a way around his ability to stop my deep half. We talked about a few half guard techniques and passing in no gi.

No comments:

Post a Comment