Friday, March 25, 2016

March 25th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Side Control Basic Escape to Guard, Americana from Side Control
Partner: Craig, Jesus

Conan threw in a few of the advanced warm-ups like side rolls and butterfly guard walks.  During the throw training, Jesus had a little bit of trouble with the upper body work of the throw.  I think he was more trying to push Craig back rather than put his weight down on the foot that he's going to kick out. 

Rolling: Side Control (4 x 4 min), Open Guard King of the Mat
Rolled With: Josh J, Justin, Jordan, Craig, Jesus, Tyler

Had some good rolls today and I'm going to have to take a couple people more seriously.  I'm glad to have Justin in these Friday mornings as he's also a blue belt and he's gotten better since he's been attending the advanced classes.  Hopefully he'll continue to show up.

Jordan surprised me during king of the mat open guard.  He came close to passing so I turtled.  He immediately went for the turn over and got my lapel and switched sides and pulled me on my side and went for the back take and got it.  Executed perfectly!  So he's moved up a category of someone that I will not take lightly.

Office Hours Partner: Josh J

Josh really surprised me today.  He took it to me and prevented quite a few things that I would normally get easily.  There was a point when I was in deep half guard and went for the normal homer sweep and came up but I was being lazy and brought my arm to the inside right into a triangle.  It took a little while and made me question if I should gut this out or tap.  I attempted the knee in escape but he was too high on my chest and eventually I tapped and told him great job.  He played it off that I wasn't trying my best or screwing around, but honestly I made a lazy mistake that I shouldn't have made when coming up from deep half and I paid for it.  It made me think that I can get lackadaisical when I roll with some of the junior guys and I should really be striving for perfect technique all the time.  I don't have to always go hard but I need to cut down on simple mistakes just because I can get away with them most of the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment