Thursday, March 31, 2016

March 31st 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing RNC defense using Seoi nage, Farside Armbar from Side Control
Students: Jordan, Bhuvana, Dave, Byrav, Derek, Kirk (visitor), Chris C.

Been out all week since I've been suffering from a back ache.  I hurt it doing something benign as sitting on the floor and setting up our kindle fire so my son could watch a Curious George video.  I just twisted to reach a bit and felt something was a little wrong.  My back got progressively worse Saturday and Conan and I were pretty worthless trying to teach the kids class, because he also had an ear infection the day before.

It felt good to get on the mat today.  I am not 100% but I was able to demonstrate most of the exercises for the new guy and didn't have too many problems with the techniques. The shoulder throw was probably the most difficult thing for me.

Here are some tips for this week's techniques:
  • Shoulder Throw RNC Defense: The bits of advice I gave out the most were to use their belt knot as a guide to how low you need to get your hips.  I like to get my shoulder as high as I can into their armpit.
  • Farside Armbar: Keeping the knee up while switching sides is very important.  Don't let them sit on your leg.  
  • Scissor Sweep: Make a connection with your opponent.  One you have your grips and get to position sit up into them and when you fall back take them with you so you can scissor their legs easier.

Rolling: Side Control (2 x 2 min), Guard (2 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Kirk, Bhuvana, Dave

Rolling went okay.  There were a couple moments where I didn't feel like I could bridge nearly as well as I normally do so I chose my moments of when to exert myself.  I rolled with Kirk and did my best to explain the positions and talk him through some things.  At the end of class, he seemed very interested in returning, very cool.

Bhuvana and Dave were good rolls and presented some challenges with my back.  I let a few things go that I normally wouldn't have like a guard break and pass but I kind of liked the idea of choosing techniques to overcome an injury.





No comments:

Post a Comment