Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 19th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Farside Armbar, Paint Brush
Rolling/Game: Side Control, Stand Up Sparring, Sharks and Octopuses

Helped teach with Jerad today so attended both kid classes.  I always get a bit of a workout in the little kids class because we do the break falls with them but we also worked on the footwork for the double leg shot.

For the older kids class, Jerad said if they wanted to spar more than everyone would need to do warm-ups quicker. I think this encouraged Jayden to go a little faster.  They did get to spar more and do some stand-up sparring.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Adam, Derek W, Mike A, Bhuvana, Bauer
Game Plan: Bottom - Cross Guard Top - Spiral Armbar

Holy crap there was a lot of people training today, probably the most I've ever seen in an open mat. Luckily Dwight thought of taking a picture. There was almost no room between people training. I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.



Adam: We rolled for over half an hour but I felt pretty strong throughout our roll.  Today was the closest I've come to submitting him with both an Ezekiel and a loop choke but he got out of them.  He's made me better at escaping side control and  avoiding his butcher.  I need to work on preventing his smash and kick out guard pass.  I'm going to catch him one of these days.

Derek: He had a great attitude toward rolling as we probably went 8 times. Had to give him pointers on guard passing and going for pant grips. I should write an FAQ and post it on the wall.  We talked a bit about bottom half and creating space with framing.

Mike: We rolled twice and with the first roll he caught me with a kneebar from inverted half guard. In our second roll he attacked a wristlock and became focused on finishing it, but flexible wrists are one positive things about 20 years of Hapkido.  He focused on it so much that I was able to take his back. It wasn't over yet, I tried to secure the RNC but he fought it well, eventually I ended up in mount trying setup arm triangle ended up in side mount and set up the switch side baseball bat choke.

Bhuvana: We talked about some strategies from bottom midrange half guard, as she had a little trouble from there. My suggestion was knee shield. If there's space in half, I'll always go for it.

Bauer: We didn't roll but he let me drill some deep half stuff and put a little resistance in there.  It was pretty tough drilling with his flexibility in this position.

No comments:

Post a Comment