Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March 16th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kesa Getami Roll Over Escape, Straight Foot Lock
Students: Morgan, Byrav, Mike (Visitor)

Had a visitor today who had done some traditional Ju-Jitsu a few years ago.  He seemed to have some experience with some stuff like falling and rolling etc, so he didn't have to be taught everything from the ground up.  I felt pretty good about my teaching, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get to defending against the foot lock.  Tips on today's techniques:
  • Headlock Escape: this is when someone has a pretty low profile and you can't get the hook for the back attack.  Take a low grip on their ribs and bridge them onto their head.  KEEP the bridge and roll them onto their shoulders, don't try to roll them over the top of your chest
  • Straight foot lock: I've gained a lot more confidence in this technique since Greg changed a few details in the way he taught it recently (may be a year ago).  I used the analogy today to think of it like a walking break fall when putting your heel into their hip and falling more to the side instead of back.  Then put your bicep over their toes and then I think about systematically start to get the elbow under the ribs and then my shoulder moves under and then look down and arch.
Rolling: Guard (6 x 2 min)
Rolled With: Mike, Morgan

Like usual when going with someone on their first day I completed a couple sweeps and passes before talking him through some stuff to help him out.  Mike was pretty easy to work with and was willing to try to learn everything the correct way.  I showed him scissor sweep as an option from guard and talked about desired grips a little bit.

Rolled with Morgan and he had a few tricks up his sleeve that gave me a bit of a hard time.  He did a good job of not giving up once I was almost passed his guard and went the extra mile to try to maintain it.  After one sweep I was coming to the top I ran into his knee and bit my tongue a bit (still hurts a bit).  This plus a black eye that I got from Jerad on Sunday is making me feel a little beat up this week. 

Office Hours Partner: Morgan

Morgan wanted to drill the straight foot lock a little more and I think we made some progress on some of the details.  I did my best to feel where he could change it and make it hurt more and then say, "yep feels good."  I drilled a few deep half guard entries and sweeps and felt good about my ability to flow with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment