Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 17th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kesa Getami Roll Over Escape, Straight Foot Lock
Students: Bhuvana, Byrav, Megan, Chris C, Dave, Harvey

Got some positive feedback on my teaching today which always feeds my ego a bit.  I just have to roll with some of the people that normally beat me to remind me of how much more I need to learn. 

My additional warm-up today was having everyone pick a throw and then work their way into a dominant position once they finished it.  So if you chose O-Goshi instead of stopping once your opponent hits the ground go right to side control or mount.  Then the next round was focused on the other person trying to gain guard or turtle up.  Everyone seemed to enjoy this and get something out of the concept.

It seemed like most had a problem with the headlock defense.  Their partner would kind of release the headlock and then be too flat to roll over their shoulders.  I was able to mitigate the problem a little bit but I think some were still frustrated with this technique in the end.

Teaching the footlock and defense went pretty well.  I shared a few extra defense basics that I've been picking up.  Hand fighting, pushing the foot down on your hip and getting over it.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Harvey, Dave, Chris

From the top of guard I attempted the footlock on everyone and was able to get it a few times.  I noticed a few of them tried to set it up on me too when I was on the bottom.  Had a little underhook discussion with Dave about when is the wrong time to do it or when an underhook can put you in more danger. 





No comments:

Post a Comment