Thursday, March 3, 2016

March 3rd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Basic Open Guard Maintaining Position, Sweep, & Triangle
Partner: Byrav

Another class in the books.  I feeling good about the open guard and I will go there occasionally during rolling but feel that using the foot on bicep without a grip really isn't my style.  It seems to work fine though when I did it during rolling.

The only tip that I would give is that the sleeve grip is probably the most important part when I'm trying to pass.  If I can get my elbow down under the thigh and then pin their leg I will usually get a pass out of this.  So controlling that sleeve is paramount.

Rolling: Open Guard (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Byrav, Dave, Ben, Greg

Had a great free roll with Greg and felt that my movement and defense were on point for the most part.  I was able to defend quite a few of the grips that he was going for and escaped back mount.  Granted I ended up in mount and had more defending to do but I at least stopped a few submissions that he went for.  I also put him into half guard from full mount but he turned that into a back take so he may have wanted that to happen.

Dave gave me some compliments on my grip strength and that he felt like I was in control of the roll.  I've heard a couple people say that my grips have been tough to deal with lately. 

Office Hours Partner: Greg

We worked a bit on a single leg x escape that he wanted to trouble shoot and then a pass spider guard.  I saw Chris do this pass where he dipped his head under one of the legs to try to beat spider guard and Greg and I worked out some of the details on how to make that work with regrabbing on one side and bringing the knee up to keep them from recovering.


No comments:

Post a Comment