Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 24th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Side Control Basic Escape to Guard, Americana from Side Control
Partner: John, Tim, Derek, Bhuvana, Byrav, Bob, Morgan, Chris C, Harvey, Andy

The biggest class that I've taught to date.  I taught everything pretty much the same as yesterday with some stand-up grip fighting, pummeling etc.  Then right into O-Soto Gari and having them focus on the upper body instead of the trip. 

One thing that I noticed a lot while they were working on the americana was too much use of the arm to push their opponents arm to the mat.  Connect their arm to your chest and use your legs to get their arm to the floor. 

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Side Control, Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Most of the class

Saw some good things in rolling.  I was surprised that I didn't see very many people making it to mount.  That may be something that I could put a class together on in the future as I feel like I am developing my transitions into mount pretty well. 

I had a tough roll with Derek that pretty much ended in a stalemate.  I pulled guard and tried to sweep or choke him and he kept not letting me.  When it was over and I stood up, my thighs were fatigued from trying to keep him in guard. 

Office Hours Partner: Harvey, Chris

Went over armbar from the guard with Harvey and we got into a short discussion about trigger positions.  He said he understood how to do the armbar and which way to turn when we are drilling it but under pressure he couldn't think about the same things clearly.  This is the reason that we need to drill things and come up with the positions that trigger these techniques for us.  In this case when the arm goes across my belly and their elbow is near my hip that is my trigger to start the armbar process. 

Rolled a few times with Chris and we worked on some mount defense and offense.  I showed him how to isolate an arm using his body more than arm strength and how important taking a higher mount is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment