Friday, March 18, 2016

March 18th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kesa Getami Roll Over Escape, Straight Foot Lock
Partner: Morgan, Josh J

With Conan teaching I was able to get some reps of this week's techniques since I taught the last 2 days.  Conan emphasized a couple of things that I did not.  I will have to go over the technique again with Greg to iron a few things out.  Do I want their toes secure before I lay to the side?  Do you bring my back leg up after breaking the guard?  Otherwise I'm feeling confident in finishing the straight footlock where previously I felt it was hit or miss.

Rolling: Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Josh, Jesus, Justin, Morgan

Some good rolling occurred.  Josh tried to catch me with cross guard omoplata with me responding with an "nah uh uh" you're not catching me with my favorite thing, at least not until he practices it more.  He did a good job with hand fighting and preventing me from a lot of the grips that I wanted. 

Justin and I had a good roll as well.  I thought I had him there for a little while but he escaped my side control to turtle and then I went for a crucifix but was a little too high on his shoulders, I should have rolled more over his back.  Eventually I'll put some time into researching this position.

Office Hours Partner: Josh

We went over cross guard per his request.  Something that helped him was when I said that the cross guard was another guard.  He seemed to want to quickly get to the omoplata but I think it of more like going 90 degrees twice.  So I helped him tighten the position and gave a few contingencies.  We talked about how my game developed and I gave my usual story that it didn't start really developing until our first competition class when Greg assigned me the techniques to drill (Cross Guard, Over/Under Pass).  He also paid me a huge compliment saying that he couldn't imagine that I was ever as lost at Jiu-Jitsu as he is.  I tried to get across that it felt like I spent my first year on the bottom of side control and that I felt like he is pretty good for how long he's been doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment