Tuesday, March 22, 2016

March 22nd 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Attacking Turtle to Back Mount
Partner: Bhuvana

Good topic for class today as I don't think we've covered turtle in this Tuesday no gi class.  Some basic things to remember for the top person:
  • Keep your weight low and over their hips draping your across their lower back
  • Always be trying to weasel your hands either into the spot between their hip and leg
  • Harness grip needs to be tight, I like to think about squeezing my elbows into them rather then pulling straight back on my hands.

Rolling: Turtle Up/Down/Out
Rolled With: Mike A, Derek M, Tom, Harvey, Morgan, Bhuvana, and others

I felt unstoppable with my granby roll today.  I'd bide my time and keep my defenses tight and then blast into a roll when the coast was clear.  One of the big keys was something that Tom and I talked about after class, when I start on the bottom of the position, I don't let anyone have any grips before we begin.  It's easier to prevent them than it is to remove them. 

Mike did give me some trouble when I was on top.  I felt like I was so close to taking his back but I got my weight just a little too high and he shrugged me off.  Otherwise I was attacking the back pretty consistently with the technique that we did today.

Office Hours Partner: Harvey, Tom

I showed the guys that hung around how I do my granby roll and some basic tips for it.  Mike gave some pointers on crucifix stuff that I've been wondering about and Tom helped me practice that a few times.


No comments:

Post a Comment