Tuesday, January 12, 2016

January 12th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kimura from Top Half Guard
Partner: Robert

Good topic today! Using the Kimura to pass half guard has been in the back of my mind lately.  I actually do use the setup the Greg taught often as I often like to pass with the hip switch.  I had a little trouble at first keeping Roberts lower arm from getting under my body.  I was supposed to stay closer to the floor and ride up into his armpit instead of putting my weight onto his chest and raising up to fit my knee in. 

We did a couple variations based on the defenses the opponent did.  If they got their hands together to defend we passed and then went to far side armbar.  If they went flat on their back we would switch to a straight armlock.  I've felt a little iffy about this in the past but the way Greg demonstrated it and how close to the elbow we got made it much more reliable in my opinion.

Rolling: Half Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Robert, Ben, Jordan

Always good to roll with Robert.  After working so much on getting the kimura off of an underhook I was a little hesitant to go for the underhook from the bottom.  So when I did go for it I made sure to off balance or go lower.  Had a pretty difficult fight from the bottom and ended up in turtle/headlock position for a while.  From the top he ended up with a single leg for a bit that I turned into a crucifix but wasn't able to finish.  I really don't have enough experience with this position, especially in no gi.  At least in gi I would have attacked some collar stuff.  Greg showed me how to do the armbar on the trapped arm, I would also like to do the 1 handed RNC that Marcelo Garcia does.

Ben and Jordan gave me some challenges as well.  Jordan is really squirrely lately in his guard and retention.  At one point I had swept him and we were kind of in a limbo position where Greg suggested that I quit trying to pass the guard and just finish the sweep.  Hm, this is new information or at least goes against my normal strategy.  It makes sense but I'm not quite sure when to apply it.  Ben did a good job at hand fighting and defending and I felt like I had to turn it up a little bit with him. 

I finished out the class with a free roll with Robert.  I felt pretty good about our roll and even had a pretty decent sweep out of half guard.  Toward the end he caught me with a guillotine while I was in the bottom of half guard.  Greg was trying to coach me but I was already coming up to the top position allowing him to finish the choke.  Later Greg gave me the pointer that I should look to position my head in the middle and stay flat on the bottom instead of coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment