Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January 27th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Side Control Tripod Escape, Kimura from Side Control
Partner: Ben

For the throw Mike had us step down the floor to get our partner to move into the throw. I like this exercise and I think it helps with kazushi.

I feel like I was able to get the tripod escape consistently for the first time. A combination of getting a deeper underhook and angling my hips allowed me to keep my shoulder down where I usually end up on my elbow.

Mike had a great idea to combine the tripod escape to getting the kimura as they're trying to prevent the guard pass with another underhook. Using a similar principle that Tinguinha taught on Friday.

Rolling: Side Control (4 x 2 min), Guard King of the Mat
Rolled With: Ben, Mike, Morgan, Dave

We started with the underhook in the bottom of side control. I attempted the tripod escape as often as I could and hit it once. The other times I ended up in headlock position or turtle.  One thing that helps a lot with the underhook for me is to use my leg as a brace by putting my hand on my knee or thigh and using it to get the hook deeper.  From the top I was kimura hunting and tried to avoid doing my normal side control knee on belly and stuff.

Mike and I had an interesting couple rolls.  We ended up in donkey guard and he was fighting for a toe hold while I was fighting to escape.  He eventually finished it.

Office Hours Partner: Morgan

He had attempted some cross guard on me during rolling so I asked if he wanted to drill some. I went over some contingencies and tightening up the position in general. For myself I worked on the back roll type stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment