Saturday, January 30, 2016

January 30th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Scissor Sweep
Rolling/Game: Guard Position, Free Rolling

Good class today as usual. Greg had the kids do piggyback rides as a warm-up and my kids have a hard time with that while the other kids don't seem to.  They did well with the scissor sweep but for some reason there was a bit of a breakdown while switching partners at times.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Justin, Dave, Derek, Jerad, Drew, Mo
Game Plan: Hunt for waiter sweep

I asked Greg for a goal of some type for training today. He suggested that I attempt to waiter sweep everyone that I rolled with. Reasonable enough and challenge accepted.  The baseball bat choke was working very well for me today which led me to teaching it to a few people.

Justin: It was a damn tough couple of rolls.  There was a lot of escaping to turtle and attempted back takes for both of us.  I gave him some pointers on technical mount because he was a little low with it.

I wasn't able to hit the waiter sweep until the last roll and it felt like a mistake leading into it because I gave him half guard but he got farther than I wanted with an underhook and crossface. I used the butterfly half to make some space and get to deep and complete the sweep.  I had some nasty forearm burns by the end.

Dave: He was in good spirits today as due to a career change, he gets to train regularly again.  He was doing pretty well but there were a couple of times when he continued to rush headlong forward when he probably should have backed up a bit and regained posture.  I playfully said to him a few times "you sure you want to do that?" That seemed to get him thinking and he would work the right thing.

Derek: He just recently came back to LBJJC.  He's also a fellow former Marine. Between rolls we had a little discussion on the Marine Martial Arts program with which he received a brown belt.

After we rolled a bit he asked me about the baseball bat choke so we worked on it for a while. He was very into learning it and seemed to have an aha moment when he figured out how it worked.

Jerad: We rolled and he sufficiently destroyed me. Needless to say I wasn't able to complete my goal of waiter sweeping him.  He caught me with an americana from mount when I thought he was setting up the mounted triangle like he usually does.  Later I asked him if he thought I was too predictable. He knows what I like to do and works his hardest to stay away from it.  He did compliment me on being more aggressive recently.

Drew: He is another guy that came to the old school a few times, hopefully we'll see more of him.  We rolled a couple times and then I gave him a crash course on defending and attacking from back mount.

Mo: We didn't really roll just went over some finer points of deep half.  One issue he was having was his shoulder wasn't under my leg enough. He was also running into the problem that I had where people were stopping him with their legs as he was attempting to sweep. I think telling him to get higher under the leg helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment