Sunday, January 24, 2016

January 23rd 2016 - Tinguinha Seminar

Kids Seminar

Busy day of Jiu-Jitsu starting with the kids seminar.  Both of my boys did well.  Tinguinha started off with some jogging around the room and various other exercises.  They worked on several techniques with a good mix of new things and things they were familiar with.
  • O-Soto Gari
  • Defense against O-Soto Gari with O-Soto Gari.  This was interesting in that the defender takes a step back changing the angle for their own throw.
  • Guillotine Defense.  This was a tough one for my kids.  They had a hard time getting around to the side to do the takedown.  
  • Americana is defended and then switching to the armbar.  In my opinion this is one of the best ways to teach how to transition from a failed technique to another one.
  • Butterfly Guard Head Stand pass.  Kids seemed to have fun with this one, they don't have any experience with butterfly guard yet, but doing a headstand is always fun.
They did some stand-up games like sumo and takedown sparring and all of them did well.  I saw a few decent throws but also some good body control and push/pull.

Open Guard Seminar

It was completely awesome that the seminar was based on a large part of my game.  Plus having it taught by the 5th degree black belt who made a cross guard DVD that I own is just frosting on the omoplata cake.  Fuji was my partner which was good since he's usually the one that prevents my omoplata.  He gave me some good pointers that will help prevent being stacked.

Close to the end of the seminar Tinguinha gave us a chance to ask some questions and I was able to ask for tips on preventing being stacked and finishing the omoplata.  He walked me through the submission setup using the pant grab and the major detail I was missing was that I wanted to move back diagonally instead of just straight to the side.  Tinguinha gave a couple other people pointers too.  After the seminar we all took some pictures.  I asked Tinguinha if I could "feel his cross guard" which was a poor choice of words because the other guys gave me shit for it and I don't think I'm going to live it down for a while.

Anyway, Tinguinha demonstrated it on me and he did clamp in the cross guard with his legs a lot tighter than I do.  He let me try it on him and said the major reason I was getting stacked is that I wasn't engaging my omoplata leg to curl and push them away enough.

All in all a great day of Jiu-Jitsu ending with a group dinner at fireworks supplied by Conan's brother, thanks Brian!

Here are the techniques that were covered:

Cross Guard
  • Omoplata set-up
  • When partner uses posture to hide the elbow, back roll to both knees on the mat kind of like star sweep.  I've never had confidence in this, but I think I understand when to do it now a little better than before.
  • Same as last but if partner sprawls their leg out roll back to omoplata
  • Partner postures up using leg, point knees outward to omoplata sweep, transition to mount
  • Partner stands with posture, star sweep
Spider Guard
  • Partner is kneeling in combat base, butterfly hook foot to extend their leg and sweep
  • Partner toreando passes with sleeve grips roll directly to side and bounce back into spider guard
  • Partner kneeling on back leg.  Use leg to swing up and hand off their sleeve under their leg.  Grab their knee and drive them back for the sweep.
  • Same as last but partner pressures back, post hand and move around behind them until you can get your knees on the floor until they go down.



No comments:

Post a Comment