Saturday, January 23, 2016

January 22nd 2016 - No Gi with Tinguinha

Theme & Techniques: Americana Progression from Side Mount
Partner: Ben

Greg's coach Tinguinha is in town for a couple days to train with us. We had a huge turnout tonight for no gi class and tomorrow there will be a kid's seminar and an adult gi seminar.

The main theme was a response to the person in bottom side control pushes up on your neck.  Instead of fighting against it we turned our shoulders and went with it.  From there we grabbed their wrist and used our head to push them into americana position.  Then transitioned to straight armlock and kimura.  One detail Tinguinha showed that made a difference for the straight armlock was to put the elbows tight in close to their arm.

The other technique was looking for the modified arm triangle with their elbow in the armpit.  I've never been good at finishing this technique but doing this setup made it a lot tighter.



Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Bauer, Mo, Mike Jerad, Fuji

For rolling we were split up into blue and above on one side and white belts on the other.  Making all of my rolls tough. I was controlling Bauer pretty well from the top and when he was able to opa I went right into omoplata, but his posture kept me from finishing. I still have some work to do with it.

Fuji also gave me a hard time when I attempted the omoplata. I feel like I'm ending up in an overhook guard position half way to the omoplata often but I'm not able to capitalize like I should. I'll bring this up with Greg when I get a chance.

Mike really has my number lately especially when it comes to back takes and ankle locks. He's also shutting down my deep half by stepping over into knee bar. So frustrating but I need Jiu-Jitsu brothers like him to help me get better.

Jerad and I had a good roll after class.  I didn't feel like I was able to mount any offense but it was a fun thought provoking roll.  I asked him about a quarter guard position that I felt stuck in, I just needed to try to move around behind him.  Both he and Mike claimed that my defenses make me tough to submit, but it doesn't feel like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment