Wednesday, January 6, 2016

January 6th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Wing Choke, Bow and Arrow
Students: Mike A, Ross, John, Ben P, Ben (visitor), Casey, Shane

Good turn out for class today, plus Ross was visiting.  I always enjoy seeing former students that continued training after they left and hearing about their new school.  We also had a visitor, Ben, nice guy that has some skills who trains at Mid-America. 

Some tips on today's techniques:
  • O-Goshi: What I saw people having the most problems with were reaching too shallow around the back. 
  • Wing Choke: I have trouble completing this choke from the back.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get their arm over their head.  I do have success finishing this choke from technical mount though, so I would suggest trying it there to practice it as well.  
  • Bow and Arrow: I think the biggest hint I kept repeating today was to keep your bottom leg from being stuck under your opponent.  I like to turn my hips like I'm doing an armbar from mount, Mike was also telling people to lay back away from that leg, I think that's the way Greg does it to.

Rolling: Back Mount Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Everyone

We did up/down/out so I could get some rolling in too.  I thought about doing king of the mat but I didn't feel that back control lent itself well.  I saw a lot of good things from everyone both from a defensive and offensive standpoint.  I'm still working on my back control personally and find it to be a difficult position to attack from actually.  I think I just need to tighten some things up a little bit.

I finished with some free rolling but one of the students had to leave so I sat out and watched until the end of class.

Office Hours Partner: Ben

We worked on some deep half mostly centered around posture and using his head to push with when coming up during the sweep.  I also showed him the butterfly hook to double unders sweep that I also have some success with.  He seemed to like that one, so hopefully it can become useful to him.  I attempted to do one of Hall's back takes but for some reason couldn't remember that steps.  I'll have to watch the video again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment