Saturday, January 16, 2016

January 16th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Upa Escape from Mount, Americana from Mount
Rolling/Game: Mount Position

It was a little difficult to get the boys there this morning, but once they were, they enjoyed class.  It was a good size of 10 kids. Hopefully we'll have as many next Saturday for the kid's seminar with Tinguinha.

They're pretty good at these 2 techniques so not too much supervision was needed. When it came time to roll I would still like to see Jayden try a little harder. Sometimes a switch will flip and he'll use pressure or fight for the top position and succeed but I haven't figured out how to flip that switch.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Bauer, James, Henry, Mike A, Bhuvana
Game Plan: Be aggressive

Bauer: We did some drilling with a couple of barata plata variations. One that I kind of liked from the north/south kimura position that I think I can readily use with a little more practice.

We rolled a few times and there was some decent back and forth. I was doing my best to try to go after him and not sit in guard too long.  I was able to attack from mount a couple times but not set anything meaningful up. I attempted the spiral armbar a couple of times but he was able to flatten  his shoulders each time.

I asked Greg about the setup and he showed that I needed to not only step further forward but it seemed like he also was pulling up on the elbow with high posture. I've been just trying to get my partners on their sides so I think this is the key I've been missing.

James: We went no gi and kind of stalemated each other. I was moving from omoplata position to close guard when he would posture up.  I wasn't on top very often but I made several sweep attempts some ending in single leg.

Henry: Stayed in no gi. I started out attacking and staying on top but had a hard time keeping him controlled from side mount.  In a scramble we ended up in a leg lock battle that I eventually lost to heel hook.

Mike: He's been pushing the pace with me pretty hard lately and I've got to be on my game when we roll. It seems like any mistake I make results with him on my back.

There was one point where I was in sort of deep half but didn't sweep him all the way. I came up to over under but made the mistake of trying to fight a kimura grip by reaching under his leg. It turned into a crucifix and fuck that position.

Bhuvana: We started off drilling the cross guard to omoplata. She was having trouble with the toughest part for most people, lifting the hips backward instead of using your legs to push off of the partner. We rolled a couple times and I setup a north/south choke so we drilled that a few times too.

No comments:

Post a Comment