Thursday, January 7, 2016

January 7th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Wing Choke, Bow and Arrow
Partner: Harvey, Byrav

When I sit down to write these I always feel like starting off with, "it was a good class today"  I can't really remember there ever being a bad class, so it's kind of redundant to write that every time.  I guess some of those classes where my knee wasn't quite right before I had surgery weren't the best classes for me and I'm thankful that for the most part my body has been holding up quite well.

I noticed a few things that Greg taught differently than I did the day before.  He likes to lay back during the bow and arrow while I like to keep my head up.  The major positive to his way is that your bottom leg is a lot more free to assist.  He said the way I taught was fine and still had the same base details. 

Another detail that I took away from today was during the wing choke he made a pretty substantial sweep motion to get behind the neck to help get their arm up.  It is very difficult to lift their arm anywhere near the armpit.

Rolling: Back Mount (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Harvey, Anthony, Byrav

I'm still trying to figure out how to use my chin in the back mount.  I feel pretty good about my harness and using my feet to either hook, push down, or as a butterfly.  But, it seems like I'm not doing my best to keep my chin next to their head to limit their movement.  At one point I had transitioned into an arm triangle and was slowly working to finish it when Greg said I should move my chin across his forehead.  I tried it and it seemed to tighten the choke up a lot quicker than normal.  Black Belt Magic!

Defending went fine.  There were a few times when I should have been smarter about my elbow placement or fought to go to the underhook side where a more seasoned opponent would have choked me.  Probably should focus more on doing the right thing rather than what I think I can get away with, with the least amount of effort.

Office Hours Partner: Harvey

We went over some grip fighting stuff concerning stripping collar grips from guard etc.  I was able to drill the rolling omoplata from lasso and Greg said I needed to shoot my arm up as soon as I rolled to prevent getting stacked or pushed on my side, that is going to help a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment