Wednesday, January 13, 2016

January 13th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Defense to Hammer Lock to RNC, Mounted Armbar, Elbow Escape from Mount
Partner: Byrav, Jordan

Mike had us do some drilling a technique of our choice from guard as a part of the warm-up.  Great idea.  I worked on cross guard and tried to play around with getting the position differently by pushing a pulling in different ways.  This actually kind of wore me out a bit and made me think that I need to get back to drilling this again.

Some tips on techniques from today:
  • Head Lock Defense: After taking them down to their butt keep them leaned back so it makes it difficult to use their legs to push into you.
  • Mounted Armbar: When going off a push from the person on the bottom using the cpr method, I like to think of it like the gymnast pummel horse.  Keep my butt low and turn around their arm sitting on their tricep.
  • Elbow Escape: plant your elbow on the floor and hip escape away from it.  It's more difficult to try to push them away with your elbow.
Mike also had us do a variation on the elbow escape that resulted in x-guard when their leg stays straight.

Rolling: Mount (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jordan, Mike

I feel pretty good about my mount escapes.  I'm still working on my attacking from the top and it's especially tough with smaller guys.  At one point I was able to isolate one of Mike's arms and was trying to get him to break his grip he was able to time letting go and bridging just right to knock me off balance a bit and regain guard.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

Played around a bit with the crucifix position with Jordan but still don't feel great about the position. 

Mike and I had a pretty good roll with a lot of back and forth.  Before we started I did a quick shake off and said that I was going to try not to think and just act.  It seemed to help a little bit but he was still able to arm drag me and take my back.  I was able to escape the back attack and ended up in deep half.  I was able to get a lapel grip that Faria does a lot in his deep half guard and even though Mike was working on a kimura it was strong enough under his leg for me to sweep and almost take the back.  He gave me compliments on my pass attempts and we talked about why I get arm dragged so often.  I'm going to work on keeping my elbow in more and not extending my arms when starting a roll.  My elbows are out way too far.  So good information and some good rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment