Tuesday, January 26, 2016

January 26th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kimura from Guard, Kneeling Guard Break to Double Under Pass
Partner: Zack (Visitor)

It felt like Greg was doing something a little different with his leg or hip while he fell to his back for the kimura. Maybe I've just never had him do it in no gi but I don't think that should matter.

I like the guard break but am not that confident in when I should do it when rolling yet.  Driving both hands into their closed guard requires good timing and body positioning to create enough space. I think the detail that was most difficult for Zack was moving his own body down and back to get double unders rather than try to force my legs forward into it.

Rolling: Guard Up/Down/Out
Rolled With: Robert, Zack, Harvey,

I attempted to setup the guard break a couple times, got it to work a little but was also shut down a few times.  I had better success using the double wrist grab standing guard break but it's not nearly as easy as in the gi.

One of the rolls with Robert was quite a battle.  I transitioned to multiple guards in my attempts to sweep.  Starting from closed guard to turtle to half to deep half to x guard to single x then back to turtle. Eventually Greg had us call it a draw so we could switch partners but it was an exciting match.

Office Hours Partner: Harvey, Mike A

The possibility for an inverted kimura occurred while Robert was in my guard.  Mike was there watching and gave me a few pointers on finishing it.  A little change to the hand configuration was what I needed to get the correct leverage as well as stepping on the hip. Too soon to tell if I'll be able to incorporate this into my repertoire.

Another important piece of information that he imparted was that my underhook was too loose.  I need to try to grab their hip bone instead of just draping my arm across their back.  Great no gi tip where I'm used to grabbing the pants or belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment