Tuesday, April 12, 2016

April 12th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Front HeadLock: Spin To Behind, Anaconda, Regain Guard
Partner: Bhuvana

I haven't worked on the anaconda for a long time and was happy to work on something different today.  I always look forward to no-gi Tuesdays to work on some different things.  Some pointers on the techniques from today:
  • Spin to behind: The main detail from switching from front headlock to the side of turtle was to put your hand behind their shoulder to keep them from grabbing your leg as you move around.
  • Anaconda: My biggest piece of advice for this and darce is don't fall into the choke until your hands are secure.  It is difficult to tighten this choke once you fall to your side so make sure you have your hand secure on your bicep.
  • Regain Guard: The hardest part of this for me was freeing my head or figuring out which way to step.  Eventually it made sense to make it like a sitout.
Rolling: Head Lock Position, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Greg, Harvey, Tom, Mike A

Had some good success with rolling from the headlock position.  I didn't feel like I had a chance to attempt the anaconda at any point.  As soon as we started everyone I rolled with pulled my hand off of their chin which was my first action as well.  Although I would usually try to grab with the other hand. 

From both Greg and Mike I'm seeing some different attacks with trying to separate get my elbow away from my knee to isolate that arm to get a crucifix.  A couple times I had to try to get ahead of the back take and try to bridge and get my shoulders to the floor as quickly as possible.  When I was on top with Greg he was able to easily stand-up a few times right away because I wasn't putting enough shoulder pressure down.  

I feel like Mike and I are ending up in the same positions each time we roll.  He'll stand and try to run around me to pass my guard.  I'll grab his leg and try to go shin on shin.  Often I'll pull deep half after that.  He'll step over or I'll attempt a waiter sweep then we may end up in a leg lock battle. 

Office Hours Partner: Harvey

We went over armbar from guard again and made a few minor adjustments and then he asked me if there was anything I wanted to work on.  I did some half guard stuff with the goal of getting to deep half and sweeping.  However, he wasn't really doing anything about my underhook so I kept taking his back.  I gave him some half guard top pointers and showed him some things that I do to pass and prevent the underhook.

No comments:

Post a Comment