Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 6th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Closed Guard Cross Choke & Armbar
Partner: Tom

Mike had us do a pretty cool additional warm-up that combined sprinting and O-Goshi.  2 people stood on either side of the mat and you would throw 1 and then sprint to the other and throw them and back and forth.  We did a similar exercise with wrestling takedowns in advanced no gi class a while ago.

A couple things I took note of today during techniques:
  • Mike showed the cross choke with the second hand on the shoulder and he moved to the side instead of keeping them straight ahead.  I'm used to doing it the other way with both palms up but this seemed a lot easier
  • He also taught the armbar differently than I do it and I had a little trouble with my back trying to lift my hips high enough.  He also had us do a flower sweep if they defended the armbar.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5)
Rolled With: Tom, Jerad, Frank

Jerad made me work a lot harder than I do on an average Wednesday.  I didn't feel like I could accomplish anything against him today.  He passed my guard a few times and swept me a few times.  When we free rolled I tried to turn it up a bit and felt like I was doing a decent job trying to pass guard for a while but it eventually went down hill.  It made me feel like I'm not prepared for purple, but Mike and Jerad both reminded me that he's been training 3 more years than me.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We talked a little bit about loop choke and he said that he doesn't push down on the head but controls their posture and lifts his elbow until I can secure my hand.  We also talked a little bit more about passing guard with the guillotine.  Before leaving I showed off some of the silly belt techniques that I learned through Hapkido.

No comments:

Post a Comment